Did anyone watch the Grammy awards last night? Sitting on my couch and watching the performances absolutely reinforced, for me, the power of music to heal, uplift and inspire, with the true strength of music being that the same melody with the exact same words, can touch people so differently.
Music throughout history has proven to have the capacity to inspire action, and The Global Block Foundation, which “harnesses the spirit of innovation, creativity and activism at the core of Hip-Hop movement to empower youth and transform communities across the globe,” is a prime example.
Focusing on cultural diplomacy, social enterprise/ economic development, and youth development, the Global Block inspires individuals to become agents of change and supports them not just financially, but through their leadership and expertise, to build sustainable communities.
Areas of commitment include:
- Plural + Video Festival: a platform for youth to speak on migration and diversity and allows their voices to be heard worldwide, with awards presented to videos most closely aligned to the Global Block mission. Check out the winning videos from 2011 here.
- Project Hip Hop Honduras: a compilation album available on iTunes featuring young artists from San Pedro Sula, Puero Cortes and the Garifuna Village of Masca, Honduras.
- Global Block Eco-Industries: promotes ethno/eco/agro tourism in the Garifuna Village of Masca, in the Gulf of Honduras.
- Writers Collective: inspires literacy by ensuring community voices are heard.
- Youth Voices Belize: empowers youth in Belize through spoken word poetry, digital media and personal narrative storytelling.